Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Luna Online Week One Reflection

Share
Ok, so we WERE reviewing two games at once, when I decided that maybe reviewing two MMORPGs at once might not be the best idea. Any who, let's go back and take a look at Luna Online and dig up some dirt on it. Let's focus on the bad, and not the good.

 
"Nod the head", engrish ftw!

Quest UI

Wow, there was little thought put into this thing. Tracking quests, which should be an automated process in my opinion, is quite a pain. You have to go into the quest log, track it by hand, and can only track one! The quest engrish can be quite frustrating, at times. You have this one mysterious looking quest and the message is very cryptic. How am I supposed to know what to do, game? Sometimes the quest engrish is so bad and unclear that some people have just assumed the quests to be broken. Another thing that got on my nerves was quest NPCs who said they were ready to have a quest turned in, yet you needed some kind of quest item. If that's the case, then why does it say I'm ready to turn it in?!

Grinding

At around level 30, the game starts to take the plunge. I don't know why, but every one of these free MMOs grinds seem to start at 30. I'm at level 33, and when I played about a week ago I was only level 30. Now, granted, I'm not power leveling like a maniac. I do, however, try to grind out high exp yielding quests during my game time. Most of the time, whenever I level, I feel very little satisfaction and begin wondering why anyone else would care to keep playing. As far as I know, Luna has no end game.

Party UI

I'm getting into some quests where I need to get into a party. I'm also at the level when you can grind a high level dungeon area with a few friends. The thing is, well, I see no party system, no way for me to say “Hey, level 33 archer here looking to group up.” I guess you could use one of those dreaded megaphones, but those cost cash and I thought this game was free.


Date Dungeons

These things have nothing to do with dating, love, or being in a relationship what-so-ever. They should have renamed this thing to make it more open for everyone. There are some serious people out there who consider this the form of going steady in game. While it is cute to be able to ask your significant other out on a date dungeon, it does kind of block it out for some people. You can't have a same sex date dungeon either, thanks to the extreme homophobia in Korea (yet, in one of the start up pictures on the launcher there are two girls kissing). If it was just called something else, we wouldn't have to worry about same sex dates and being unfaithful to our significant other, it would just be a regular old dungeon.

Well those are a few highlights I had in mind as I was playing. This is only week one down, and I still have three more to go! So, faithful reader, until then, happy grinding!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment got more articles coming. I'm not sure how much Luna Online I can play. The community said you solo/grind quests till 85! And there is absolutely no end game rewards, that aren't guild or pvp related.

    Oh well I'm not sure what the next weekly reflection will be about.

    ReplyDelete